L'Abbaye du petit Maizières
This residence is known as Maizières Abbey because it was owned by the monks of Maizières Abbey from 1301 until the French Revolution, when the Church's properties were confiscated. Broken up in 1789, Petit Maizières Abbey has, for some years, been largely reassembled by Bruno Epailly, and now accommodates a beautiful BOUTIQUE HOTEL. More details Less
The restaurant is situated in a Roman-style cellar alongside the Castrum wall (dating from the 3rd century), which was the first fortified wall to be constructed in Beaune during the Roman era.
Grand Maizières Abbey was located 15 km east of Beaune in a village called "Saint Loup de la Salle".
This Abbey was a "daughter" of Citeaux Abbey, the seat of the Cistercian Order (1098).
The Abbey's monks, who were responsible for establishing the excellent reputation of the wines of Burgundy (with the concepts of terroir, "climats" and wines specific to a location), were the owners of 60 hectares of vineyards that had been donated to the monastery. They wanted to sell their wine in Beaune, but were prevented by the laws protecting the wine producers of Beaune, which stipulated that anyone selling wine in Beaune had to own property within the city walls.
For this reason the Abbey of Petit Maizières was built and subsequently became the residence of the abbot.